Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Bands Were Loosed

Whoohoo! I had my last treatment of the Red Devil today! Only 4 treatments left of Taxol and Chemo will be over. I can say good bye to the side affects!

While it definately hasn't been fun, chemo has not been as bad as I had anticipated. I have wondered why. How is it possible? This is chemo!! I lost my hair. I'm nauseous. I'm fatigued. I have random aches and pains throughout my body. How is it that I am so positive and happy?

An answer came to me today during treatment as I was reading from the Book of Mormon. Nephi is commanded to go with his brother from the wilderness, back to Jerusalem to get Ishmael and his family and bring them along. On the way back to the wilderness, his brothers start murmuring again and want to stay in Jerusalem. Nephi explains that the city will be destroyed because of wickedness. His brothers get angry with Nephi.


16 And it came to pass that when I, Nephi, had spoken these words unto my brethren, they were angry with me. And it came to pass that they did lay their hands upon me, for behold, they were exceedingly wroth, and they did bind me with cords, for they sought to take away my life, that they might leave me in the wilderness to be devoured by wild beasts.
17 But it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound.
18 And it came to pass that when I had said these words, behold, the bands were loosed from off my feet, and I stood before my brethren, and I spake unto them again. (1 Nephi 7:17-18)

According to Nephi's faith in Jesus Christ, the band were loosed and he was able to complete the task given him. Nephi prayed to have the strength to loose the bands himself. That was not how his prayer was answered. The bands were loosed FOR him, according to his faith. I know I can't loose the bands of chemo myself. I too have been given a task and a trial to go through. Because of my faith is Jesus Christ, my bands have been loosed, or lightened, that I am able to bare them. Chemo is taking me to the very end of what I can physically bare, but spiritually I have never been stronger.

I know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ live. I know they are very aware of me, more so than I have ever felt it before. Each stage of this trial solidifies that knowledge, deeper and stronger. My bands have been loosed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments tip: I realized there was a setting to make it easier to leave a comment. If you have had problems, give it a new try. Select "anonymous" from the drop down menu after your comment (and REMEMBER TO LEAVE YOUR NAME!) Your comments help keep me going!